City council is the legislative and governing body of Commerce City. The nine members establish the vision for the city, set annual goals to achieve that vision and enact the laws that govern residents. City council annually reviews and approves the city budget. They also appoint the city manager, city attorney and municipal court judge, as well as members of boards and commissions.
City Council Meetings
- Regular meetings: 6 p.m. on the first and third Monday of each month except for holidays. Time is dedicated during the regular meetings for citizen communication.
- Study sessions: 6 p.m. on the second and fourth Monday of each month except for holidays.
- Meeting locations: Unless otherwise designated by the council, meetings take place at the Civic Center at 7887 E 60th Ave., Commerce City.
- Meeting broadcasts: Regular meetings are broadcast online and on local Channel 8.
Virtual Meeting Information
City Council meetings are being held remotely through the Zoom videoconferencing tool as the Civic Center remains closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Regular meetings held virtually still include the opportunity for public comment during citizen communication. Members of the public can register in advance to comment live during the meeting via Zoom or submit written comments before the meeting using an online form or by mail. The deadline to submit written comments or register to comment live during the meeting is noon on the day of the meeting.*
“Any citizen requesting accommodations, with respect to rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, to attend or participate in any public meeting, and/or to obtain this notice in alternate formats, is asked to please contact the City Clerk at 303-227-8791 as soon as possible before the meeting.”
Agendas, Policies & Goals
The city council consists of nine members, including: one mayor, one member representing each of the city's four wards, and four members at-large. The mayor selects a council member to serve as mayor pro tem.
- Mayor Benjamin Huseman
- Mayor Pro Tem Councilwoman Nicole Frank, Ward III
- Councilmember Oscar Madera, Ward I
- Councilmember Jennifer Allen-Thomas, Ward II
- Councilmember Susan Noble, Ward IV
- Councilmember José Guardiola, At Large
- Councilmember Craig Hurst, At Large
- Councilmember Meghan Grimes, At Large
- Councilmember Robyn Smith, At Large
Engage with City Council
City council hosts several events and town halls throughout the year to provide residents an easy way to engage in city government. These events are an opportunity to share city information, get feedback on city projects and answer questions about services or issues.
Telephone Town Halls
Telephone Town Hall Archives
Missed the live conversation? You can listen to past telephone town halls. Audio recordings are typically posted one week after the event.
¡Alza Tu Voz! Reunión con Líderes de la Ciudad
Con el objetivo de tener una conversación abierta sobre temas de interés de la comunidad Latina, la ciudad tendrá dos reuniones al año. Escucha los audios de las reuniones pasadas en la página ¡Alza Tu Voz!