City council is the legislative and governing body of Commerce City. The nine members establish the vision for the city, set annual goals to achieve that vision and enact the laws that govern residents. City council annually reviews and approves the city budget. They also appoint the city manager, city attorney and municipal court judge, as well as members of boards and commissions.
City Council Meetings
- Regular meetings: 6 p.m. on the first and third Monday of each month except for holidays. Time is dedicated during the regular meetings for citizen communication.
- Study sessions: 6 p.m. on the second and fourth Monday of each month except for holidays.
- Meeting locations: Unless otherwise designated by the council, meetings take place at the Civic Center at 7887 E 60th Ave., Commerce City.
- Meeting broadcasts: Regular meetings are broadcast online and on local Channel 8.
Agendas, Policies & Goals
There are nine city council members, including one mayor, a council member for each of the city's four wards and four members at-large. The mayor selects a councilperson to serve as the mayor pro tem.
On April 15, City Council declared a vacancy in the At-Large seat of Crystal Elliott. With Elliot’s departure, an At-Large seat opens up for a temporary appointment until the end of the existing term in December 2019. Learn more about the vacancy.
- Mayor Sean Ford
- Mayor Pro Tem Councilman Rick Teter, Ward II
- Councilman Oscar Madera, Ward I
- Councilwoman Nicole Frank, Ward III
- Councilman Steve Davis, Ward IV
- Councilman Steve Douglas, At-Large
- Vacancy, At-Large
- Councilman Benjamin Huseman, At-Large
- Councilman José Guardiola, At-Large
Engage with City Council
City council hosts several events and town halls throughout the year to provide residents an easy way to engage in city government. These events are an opportunity to share city information, get feedback on city projects and answer questions about services or issues.
Commerce City Talk Around Town Events: Coffee with City Council
Join city council members for an informal opportunity to learn more about what is happening in our community and ask questions. We will provide the coffee and you provide the conversation!
Wednesday, March 20
6025 Parkway Dr. #160
Wednesday, March 27
Reunion Coffee House
10601 Reunion Pkwy.
Telephone Town Halls
Engage with city council from the comfort of your home. The schedule for the 2019 telephone town halls is still being finalized.
Telephone Town Hall Archives
Missed the live conversation? You can listen to past telephone town halls. Audio recordings are typically posted one week after the event.
¡Alza Tu Voz! Reunión con Líderes de la Ciudad
Con el objetivo de tener una conversación abierta sobre temas de interés de la comunidad Latina, la ciudad tendrá dos reuniones al año. Escucha los audios de las reuniones pasadas en la página ¡Alza Tu Voz!