The goal of the business watch program is to reduce criminal activity and enhance the safety of local businesses.
How crime prevention officers help:
- Educate employees and management to recognize crime risks and help resolve crime issues
- Meet with businesses to develop personal contacts and provide information on suspicious activity
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) is a strategy that uses proper design and effective use of the built environment to reduce crime.
Crime prevention officers provide businesses with a free CPTED assessment and recommendations to deter criminal behavior.
A CPTED assessment will evaluate and make recommendations on the following items:
- Use of fences, signs, landscaping and good maintenance to convey ownership of the property.
- Purposeful placement of physical features and activities that allow people to maximize their ability to see what is happening around them.
- Proper placement of entrances, exits, fencing, landscaping and lighting to discourage criminal activity.