Reasons for a WarrantA warrant may be issued by the Commerce City Municipal Court for any or all of the following:
- You failed to appear in court on a scheduled court date
- You failed to comply with an order issued by the judge
Non-Payment of Fines & CostsThe court will add a warrant fee to the amount owed and you may pay the full amount due by cash or money order. No additional court appearances will be required and you will not need to post a bond.
Failure to Appear on a Court Date / Non-Compliance with a Court OrderA bond must be posted in cash by you, someone you know that is willing to pay the cash for you or a professional bail bondsperson. A bond is a promise to appear on the new court date. A $30 non-refundable bond fee must be paid in cash at the time any bond is posted in Commerce City. You must be present to post a bond unless you are currently in jail.
What Happens When a Warrant Is Issued?Once a warrant is issued by Commerce City Municipal Court, your name and other identifying information will be entered into the State of Colorado computer system. When you are contacted by a law enforcement officer the computer system will alert the officer that you are wanted by a court. You will be arrested and taken to jail. You will remain in jail until a bond is posted or until you are transported to appear in court, the judge determines the amount of the bond.
What If I Am Put in Jail?The bond may be posted at the facility where you are incarcerated (in jail). If you are being held by the Commerce City Police Department, the bond must be posted with the court or the Police Department. When the bond is posted the warrant will be canceled, the facility where you are incarcerated will be notified and you will be released from jail.
If you are being held on any other matters, you will not be released until each matter is taken care of. If you are incarcerated on the new court date indicated on the bond, the court must be notified or the bond posted will be forfeited. We will keep any cash balances that have been paid - or the professional bonds person must pay the court the amount of the bond.
- A bond may be posted in cash or money order at Commerce City Municipal Court, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or in the Commerce City Police Department after normal business hours.
- All bond refunds are made by check. The check is mailed to the address indicated on the bond approximately two weeks after the judge orders the bond discharged.
- If you do not appear on the new court date indicated on the bond, the bond will be forfeited and a new warrant will be issued for your arrest.
- If you posted the bond in cash, any fines, costs, and fees assessed by the judge as well as a $30 bond fee will be deducted from the bond. Any balance left from the bond will be refunded to you.
- If the bond was posted in cash by someone you know, the person who paid the bond money may choose to have the bond applied to any fines, costs, and fees assessed by the judge after the fee is deducted from the bond. Any balance left will be refunded to them.
- If the bond was posted in cash by someone you know and they do not want to use the bond to pay what you owe, the bond will be refunded to them after the $30 Commerce City bond fee is deducted.
- If the bond was posted by a professional bail bonds person, the court has not received any money; the bond cannot be used to pay any fines, costs, or fees that you owe. Any money that you paid the bonds person was their fee for guaranteeing your appearance in court.
- When you appear in court on the date indicated on the bond, the judge can order the bond be held until you comply with any orders of the court.