ALERT: Most Commerce City facilities have reopened with restrictions, including modified hours. Most in-person services are available by appointment only. Visit for updates. Commerce City remains under the Safer at Home public health order. 

What is an Outstanding Judgment Warrant?

An Outstanding Judgment Warrant (OJW) is a lien placed on your driver’s license or placed on your name if you do not have a driver’s license.

Why Would I Get an Outstanding Judgment Warrant?

An OJW may be placed by the Commerce City Municipal Court if you have an outstanding traffic ticket, missed a court appearance, did not pay a fine, or did not comply with an order from the court. The lien is placed after 10 days of non-compliance and a fee of $30 will be added to any amount due.

Pursuant to Colorado State Law, if you fail to appear in court for a traffic violation, the court will enter a default judgment of guilty to all violations alleged on the ticket. This means you are found guilty of all violations charged and points will be assessed against your driver’s license. If you fail to pay any fines and costs assessed by the court or fail to comply with any order of the court to attend an educational program or complete community service, the court is required to notify the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
The DMV will place a lien on your driver’s license and mail a letter to your last known address. The letter will provide you with a due date and information needed for you to clear the ticket. If you do not take care of the ticket by the date on the letter from DMV, your license will be suspended.

What Happens if Your License is Suspended

When your license is suspended, you are not allowed to drive any vehicle anywhere in the United States. If you are caught driving with a suspended driver’s license you may be arrested and your vehicle may be impounded by the police. You must clear all outstanding tickets with the court and pay a reinstatement fee to the DMV before your license will be re-instated.

Removing Outstanding Judgment Warrants

An OJW will not be removed until you have complied with all the orders of the court and all fines, costs and fees are paid in full by cash or money order only. Commerce City Municipal Court will not accept a check or debit card for payment to clear an OJW.

Special Note for Juveniles

A juvenile (a person under 18 years of age) may receive an OJW if they fail to appear in court, fail to pay a fine, or fail to comply with a court order on any ticket issued to them, even if it was not a traffic violation.