COVID-19 Service Update
Republic Services is monitoring the COVID-19 situation to ensure superior service. Trash and recycling collection are essential services that are still operating in the city. Please keep the following notes in mind:
Bulk/large-item pickups have resumed in May after being suspended in March/April to reduce driver exposure.
Items left outside trash/recycling carts will NOT be collected to keep drivers’ exposure to a minimum.
Free Landfill Days will go on as planned.The next event is scheduled for May 30.
If you have any questions, please call Republic Services at 303-286-1200.
The new trash & recycling program is here
Commerce City's residential trash and recycling program switched to a new service provider in 2020, with Republic Services taking over as the citywide hauler. The city’s previous contract with Waste Management expired at the end of 2019. Following a competitive bid process, the city awarded Republic Services a five-year contract for the program. Trash and recycling is still provided to residents at no additional cost, and most aspects of the service remain the same.
We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience as the city has worked to integrate Republic Services into our community.
Trash Transition Fast Facts
- Republic Services took over the city's trash and recycling program on Thursday, Jan. 2
- All homes in the program should have received new trash and recycling carts from Republic Services in December 2019.
- Residents should have received two blue, 95-gallon bins
(trash = black lid, recycling = blue lid)
- Residents should have received two blue, 95-gallon bins
- Most residents have the same service day and recycling week, but about 2,000 homes in the city have a new service day (details below).
- If you still have green Waste Management cans at your home, call them at 800-482-6406 to arrange pickup for your empty green cans.
- More information about the new program will be mailed to residents in the coming weeks and months.
If you have questions or concerns about the new service, please call Republic Services at 303-286-1200.
Frequently asked questions about the Republic Services trash and recycling program can be found here:
Republic Services program details
Most aspects of the city’s trash and recycling program are staying the same:
- Trash will be collected weekly in the 95-gallon can with the BLACK lid
- Recycling will be collected every other week in the 95-gallon can with the BLUE lid
- All items must fit inside the can with the lid closed
- Additional can service is available for a small fee
- $2.75 per month for an additional trash cart ($33 for the year)
- $1.75 per month for an additional recycling cart ($21 for the year)
- Large-item pickup is still included. Residents can schedule one bulk pickup per quarter for free. Additional pickups can be scheduled for $15 each. In addition, Republic Services will hold one citywide bulk item day per year to collect up to five items from each home (details to come).
NEW elements of the program include:
- Opportunity to opt-out of the recycling program and swap your recycling can for a second trash can with no fees once per year.
- More FREE landfill days at Republic Services Tower Landfill - a total of four per year.
- Additional yard waste disposal opportunities in partnership with A-1 Organics (details to come).
Service Day Changes
Most residents have the same service day and recycling week under the new program. About 2,000 homes in the city have seen a change in their service day. The neighborhoods below have experienced a change. Select the area name for a close-up view of affected streets
- Villages at Buffalo Run West = Monday
- Villages at Buffalo Run East (split)
- Outlook = Wednesday
- Eagle Creek = Thursday
- Buffalo Highlands = Friday
If you are unsure of your service day, visit RepublicServices.com/Schedule and enter your address to find out your service day and recycling week.
Waste Management can pickup
Waste Management collected most of their trash and recycling cans on their last 2019 service day. If you still have the green cans at your home, please call Waste Management at 800-482-6406 to arrange a pickup. Since Waste Management is no longer servicing Commerce City, cans MUST be empty in order to be picked up.
City Disposal Events
Free Days at Tower Landfill
Under the city's new trash and recycling program, residents can take advantage of FOUR free days per year at the Republic Services Tower Landfill to dispose of large quantities of trash or large/oddly-shaped items without using your large-item pickups from Republic Services. No hazardous waste allowed.
Location: Republic Services Tower Landfill, entrance at 19260 E. 88th Avenue
2020 event dates and times
- Saturday, March 14 from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Saturday, May 30 from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- 2 more dates to be announced
Free Green Yard Waste Drop-Off Events
Residents can dispose of compostable yard waste (i.e. grass clippings, leaves, tree limbs and other plant debris) at these free events held twice per year. Collected green waste goes to a composting facility instead of the landfill. Proof of residency required, no businesses or contractors allowed.
Location: A1 Organics Commerce City, 9109 Monaco Street, Commerce City, CO 80022
- RESCHEDULED: Saturday, May 16 from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- More 2020 dates to be announced
Partner Events Open to Commerce City Residents
Veolia Household Hazardous Waste Recycling Days
These events help residents dispose of household items that are not safe to discard in your regular trash. Drop off items such as household cleaners, gasoline, pesticides, weed killers, rechargeable batteries, fire extinguishers and many more. On the select days listed below, the normal $20 per vehicle fee is waived and the per-pound disposal fee is only 85 cents per pound (down from the normal $1.25 per pound rate).
Cash and credit cards accepted. Proof of residency required. No charge for paint and stains.
Electronic Recycling (hosted by Adams County & City of Thornton)
For a small fee, residents can discard unwanted electronics that are not accepted in your regular garbage. From TVs and computers to rechargeable batteries and microwaves, this event ensures components are properly recycled to avoid environmental harm. Large appliances are not accepted.
Learn more and register for a drop-off time
- 2020 event dates and times TBD
The PaintCare program offers free drop-off locations and events to help you get rid of unwanted, leftover paint where it can be reused, recycled or safely discarded. Visit paintcare.org to learn more.
The PaintCare program accepts free paint drop-offs from residents at both Commerce City Ace Hardware locations:
- Commerce City Ace Hardware
6900 Eudora Dr. (near E. 69th Avenue and Vasquez Boulevard)
- Reunion Ace Hardware
15181 E. 104th Ave. (in the King Soopers shopping center)
Free Storm Clean-Up Event
Commerce City is working with A1 Organics to help residents dispose of downed tree branches, limbs, and logs from the recent wind storms. Each household can bring two loads to A1 Organics during normal business hours for FREE between now and June 20.
Proof of Commerce City residency is required (e.g. driver’s license, tax statement, etc.). Limit of (2) yards of material per vehicle. $12 per yard for additional material.
9109 Monaco Street, Commerce City, CO 80022
Located on the west side of the street behind Brown Brothers Asphalt
Mon-Fri: 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
Sat: 8 a.m.-11 a.m.
All loads are subject to review. If you have questions about the eligibility of specific items, contact A1 Organics at 303-710-9301.
Staff will take all appropriate COVID-19 precautions. Please practice social distancing.