2012 and 2018 International Codes®
The 2018 family of International Codes® took effect in Commerce City on December 4, 2019 (except the 2018 International Residential Code, which takes effect on May 4, 2020). The 2018 codes replace the 2012 family of International Codes®, which had been in place in the city since June 6, 2016.
Due to the transition to the updated codes, the city will allow a six-month grace period from the effective date of December 4, 2019 to allow builders to comply with the 2018 codes. Builders must comply with the 2018 codes by June 4, 2020.
These codes establish minimum requirements to safeguard the public health, safety, and general welfare through structural strength, means of egress, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation, energy conservation, and safety of life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment. These codes also provide safety to fire fighters and emergency responders during emergency operations.
The City of Commerce City has amended various adopted codes in order to address conditions unique to the city (the city's 2018 code amendments will be posted online soon - call the Building Safety Division at 303-289-3790 with questions until then):
- 2012 IBC Code Amendments
- 2012 IEBC Code Amendments
- 2012 IECC Amendments
- 2012 IFC Amendments
- 2012 IFGC Amendments
- 2012 IMC Amendments
- 2012 IPC Code Amendments
- 2012 IPMC Code Amendments
- 2012 IRC Code Amendments
- 2017 NEC and ICCEAP Code Amendments
Current Applicable Codes
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
Note: The 2018 International Residential Code takes effect on May 4, 2020
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Existing Buildings Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
The City of Commerce City does not sell copies of the international codes. For information about how to obtain copies, please visit the International Code Council (ICC) website or call 800-786-4452.
- Design Criteria for buildings in Commerce City