ALERT: Colorado is on a statewide Stay-at-Home order (effective March 26-April 11) asking residents to stay home unless they are performing critical activities. All City of Commerce City facilities and rec centers remain closed to the public through April 17. Visit for updates.

March 23, 2020
NOTE: Due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on city operations, the Commerce City Planning Division is not accepting new land use applications at this time. Existing land use cases will continue to be processed to the extent possible as we address only essential services. We apologize for the inconvenience and will accept new land use cases once the city returns to normal operations. If you have questions, please call 303-289-3683.

The process of changing defined land uses for Commerce City properties generally involves the steps listed below, although most land use changes will not require all of these steps. If you are unfamiliar with these approval processes or are unsure where your project stands, a Pre-Application Meeting is a good place to start. Nearly all the steps below require a Development Review Application to be submitted. Please consult individual pages for more detailed information about each step in the land use approval process.

View and download the Development Review Application

Useful links to reference during land use approvals:


Annexation is the legal process allowing property located in an unincorporated area of Adams County to become part of Commerce City. The property must be “contiguous to” (next to and touching) existing Commerce City boundary lines to qualify for annexation. The property is considered within the boundary of the city limits once annexation is complete. After annexation, a property also becomes subject to the municipality’s local regulations.

Visit the Annexation page 


Zoning is the division of the city into areas (or zones) which specify allowable uses for real property and size restrictions for buildings within these areas. Entitlements are development rights assigned to properties by local governments to ensure land uses in the city are in accordance with the city’s codes and master plans, along with state statutes.

Visit the Zoning/Entitlements page 

Subdivision Plats

A subdivision (sometimes called a plat) is the process by which property is divided or consolidated in order to legally create lots, tracts or parcels. Examples of these include Sketch Plats, Final Plats, Lot Line Adjustments and Common Wall Subdivisions. 

Visit the Subdivision Plats page

Development Plans/PUD Permits

A Development Plan (for properties with a standard zone designation) or PUD Permit (for properties with a PUD zone designation) is the process by which proposed development is reviewed in detail for compliance with the city’s development standards and/or the PUD Zone Document. A Development Plan or PUD Permit is required for many development projects in the city.

Visit the Development Plans/PUD Permits page

Other Processes

Depending on the type of development being proposed or land use change being submitted, some properties will be subject to additional approval processes or require other permits. These include items such as Variances, Height Exceptions, Outdoor Storage Permits, Floodplain Permits, Master Model Elevation Reviews, Minor Modifications and Neighborhood Meetings.

Visit the Other Processes page