ALERT: Commerce City is under the Safer at Home public health order. All City of Commerce City facilities and rec centers remain closed to the public until further notice. Visit for updates.

The Public Works Engineering Division reviews plans associated with development projects to ensure compliance with the city’s construction standards and specifications in order to safeguard health, property, and public welfare in the city. Included in this process are grading permits, right-of-way permits and stormwater drainage design review.

Civil construction documents should be submitted directly to the Public Works Department for review and approval. Two paper copies with original wet PE stamp and signature are required for review.  This is in addition to the civil construction documents included with any building permit submittal.

View the city's Engineering Construction Standards & Specifications on the Code Central page

Contractor Licensing

Contractors must be licensed with the city before any grading or right of way permits will be issued. Submit a completed contractor’s license application and current certificate of general liability insurance (the City of Commerce City is required to be shown as the certificate holder) to the Public Works Department. Fees are due at the time of application.

Commerce City Contractor License Application

Grading Permits

A grading permit is required under the city’s Land Development Code for any activities disturbing at least 5,000 square feet of earth on a property that would alter drainage, surface treatment, or elevation (including filling and excavation). This process ensures that Colorado Discharge Permit System (CDPS) Phase II regulations are upheld.

Grading Permit Information Sheet

Grading Permit Application

Right of Way Permits

Right of Way is land is used to maintain or construct public facilities such as utilities, public infrastructure, streets, sidewalks and alleys. A right of way permit is required when any planned construction or activity will cross right of way areas owned by the city.

Right of Way Permits must be obtained in person at the Municipal Services Center, 8602 Rosemary Street, during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on weekdays). A permit costs $50 and additional fees may apply depending on the activity. For an advance estimate of these fees, contact public works at 303-289-8150.

Right of Way Permit Information Sheet

When a Right of Way Permit is Needed: 

  • Development – construction of new infrastructure including storm sewer, curb, gutter, sidewalk and asphalt
  • Grading
  • Street Occupancy/Road Closure – consists of a need to close any part of the city’s right of way; please refer to the special events fact sheet 
  • Street Cut/Right of Way – when the roadway surface is disturbed for repair or installation of a facility or public improvement, including shoulders and sidewalks
  • Oversized/Overweight and Longer Vehicle Combination – the use of a vehicle which exceeds legal size and/or weight limits as described below:
    • Exceeds 8 feet in overall width
    • Exceeds 13.5 feet in overall height
    • Exceeds 65 feet in overall length
    • Exceeds 36,000 pounds for a two-axle / single-axle unit truck
    • Exceeds 54,000 pounds for three or more axles / single-unit truck
    • Exceeds 85,000 pounds for a non-interstate hauler
    • Exceeds 80,000 pounds for an interstate hauler


Drainage impact fees are collected by way of building permits for four drainage basins in the city and are applied to all new development inside these basins: Buffalo Run Tributary, Direct Flow Area 0053, Second Creek and Third Creek. The fee amount is based on the total site acreage and is used to pay for regional drainage infrastructure that includes channel improvements, detention facilities, and major road crossings.

Stormwater Drainage Design

The city's storm drainage design and technical criteria provide minimum standards for new development and redevelopment within the city.

Storm Drainage Design and Technical Criteria Manual

Erosion and Sediment Control

Erosion and sediment control is used during and after the construction process to prevent excess soil from entering local waterways. Soil is highly vulnerable to erosion by wind and water and provides an unhealthy environment for fish and other aquatic life when it enters nearby waterways.

Requirements include: 

  • Silt fences
  • Erosion blankets / logs
  • Stormwater inlet protection

Erosion and Sediment Control Details

It is essential that new homeowners leave all forms of erosion and sediment control in place to both avoid fines and promote a healthy environment. You can remove these once landscaping is installed. Until then, don't remove it - you could receive a $1,000 fine!

Stormwater Permits

The Colorado Water Quality Control Division issues and administers discharge permits and other control mechanisms as provided by the Colorado Water Quality Control Act. The state also administers the industrial pretreatment program, biosolids program, and reuse programs. Grading projects also require permits to ensure minimal stormwater impact 

Learn more from the Colorado Water Quality Control Division

Commerce City does not currently charge recurring stormwater fees to residents or businesses within the city limits. Homes or businesses in unincorporated Adams County may be subject to a fee from the county.

Report Stormwater Violations

You can help reduce the negative effects of stormwater runoff by reporting stormwater violations: