Future community projects planned through federally funded CDBG program
The next crop of projects to be funded by the city’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program was approved by city council on July 1 with the passage of the city’s 2019 CDBG Annual Action Plan. The plan details projects scheduled mostly for 2020 to benefit low- to- moderate income residents in the city. Administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the CDBG program aims to provide decent housing, a suitable living environment, and expanded economic opportunities for qualifying residents.
New projects in the approved 2019 Annual Action Plan include:
- The Audio Information Network of Colorado’s pilot program, which provides audio resources to blind and visually impaired residents in the city
- Groundworks Denver, a youth employment and training program that will operate in the city
CDBG will continue to fund the popular Home Repair Programs, which received more than $372,000 to repair approximately 50 single-family and owner-occupied homes in 2020. The Home Repair Programs cover the cost of repairing issues affecting health, safety, energy efficiency, and accessibility to the home. Repairs may include plumbing, electrical, roofing, HVAC, weatherproofing, the installation of wheelchair ramps, painting home exteriors, and more. CDBG will continue to support victims of domestic violence and their families through the Domestic Violence Victim Support Program. CDBG dollars will also fund a part-time staff position to operate the Commerce City Small Business Resource Center in Derby.
Updates on previously approved CDBG projects:
- New sidewalks have been constructed in the Kemp, Rose Hill, and Central neighborhoods
- Over 100 victims of domestic violence have received assistance through the Domestic Violence Victim Support Program since its launch in May 2018
- Home Repair Programs have completed projects on over a dozen homes; five of which received exterior paint jobs through the Paint-a-Thon program
- Thirty additional homes are scheduled to receive home repairs this calendar year through the Home Repairs Program
To learn more about the CDBG program, current and upcoming projects, or to apply for a home repair program, visit c3gov.com/CDBG.