Make a difference in your community: run for city council in the 2019 election
2019 is an election year in Commerce City! Turn your ideas for the community into action and run for city council in the upcoming municipal election. The city’s nine council members create the vision for Commerce City, pass laws, and review and approve the annual budget.
On Nov. 5, voters will elect the Mayor and council members for Ward II, Ward IV, and two at-large representatives.
City Council meetings take place on the first and third Mondays of each month, while the second and fourth Mondays consist of study sessions allowing for a more in-depth discussion of topics. All meetings start at 6 p.m. Council members also regularly participate in city events and serve on boards and commissions.
Residents interested in elected office must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be a resident of Commerce City for at least 12 months preceding the appointment
- Must be a resident of the ward (not applicable for at-large seats) for 25 days immediately preceding the appointment
- Cannot be serving a felony conviction (including probation or parole)
How to become a candidate:
- An individual becomes a candidate when he or she announces publicly the intent to run and accepts a contribution or makes expenditures in support of the candidacy.
- The individual must file a notarized candidate affidavit with the city clerk within 10 days of publicly announcing the intent to seek election.
- The individual must submit a nomination petition to the city clerk to get his or her name on the ballot.
- Nomination petitions will be available at the city clerk’s office beginning at 8 a.m. on Aug. 6, 2019
- The individual may begin circulating petitions Aug. 6, 2019, and file them with the city clerk’s office no later than 5 p.m. Aug. 26, 2019.
- At least 25 registered voters within the ward (or the city for those candidates seeking an at-large seat), must sign the petition.
To learn more or view the election calendar with important dates, visit c3gov.com/elections. Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 5.
To learn more about the city council, visit c3gov.com/council.