Scam alert! A utilities scam is starting to impact Colorado residents
There has been an increase in reports of a utilities scam by impersonators claiming to be from Xcel Energy.
Xcel advises customers unsure about the legitimacy of a call to hang up and call Xcel Energy Customer Service at (800) 895-4999 or their Business Solutions Center at (800) 481-4700, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
Hang up on callers threatening to shut off your utility service unless you immediately pay all past due charges by gift card or wire transfer.
The most recent scam has followed this general description:
- In-coming number will display Xcel Energy and the caller may have your correct home address and name
- Caller says they are sending an Xcel Energy driver to your house today to disconnect your power
- When you advise your bill is current, the caller provides a case number to investigate the matter
- The caller does not initially ask for your payment information, but will provide an Xcel Energy address to make your payment in-person. When you decline to go to a location in person, they will likely ask you to make your payment over the phone. If you decline, you will be escalated to a “supervisor”, who is abrasive.
- One of the fraud numbers provided by the caller to Xcel Energy is 877-340-5622. The music and operator voice mimic Xcel Energy and ask if you are calling about home or business.
- The caller has been a male with an unknown accent, but there may be others
If you believe you have been victimized by a utilities scam or want to report suspicious activity, please file a report with Stop Fraud Colorado.