Applications sought for At Large City Council vacancy
COUNCILWOMAN CRYSTAL ELLIOTT RESIGNS, PROCESS TO FILL SEAT BEGINS
The City Clerk’s office is accepting applications for an At Large City Council vacancy. On April 15, City Council declared a vacancy of the At Large seat of Crystal Elliott.
With Elliot’s departure, an At Large seat opens up for a temporary appointment until the end of the existing term in December 2019. The City Charter requires City Council appoint an eligible person within ten to thirty days. The appointee will receive compensation of approximately $1,032.89 per month and a $20,000 life insurance policy and is eligible to participate in the City’s medical, dental and vision plans. The appointee is expected to attend City Council meetings on Monday evenings and may participate in other boards and commissions and City events.
The City Charter determines eligibility for appointment:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a resident of Commerce City for 12 months immediately preceding the appointment;
- Be a registered a voter of the city; and
- Not currently serving a criminal sentence, including probation or parole, for a felony or an offense comparable to a felony in the military.
Residents interested in applying for the vacant At-Large seat must submit an application to the City Clerk by 5:00 P.M. on April 22, 2019. Applications should include:
- a statement confirming eligibility for appointment
- a resume; and
- a brief letter explaining why the applicant feels he/she would be a good councilmember for the City of Commerce City if appointed and answering the questions set forth in Exhibit A (not to exceed 2 pages total, including all answers to questions).
All applications will be made public and posted on the city’s website at c3gov.com. The City Council anticipates selecting finalists based on the applications before hosting a public reception for final candidates and appointing a qualified person at a council meeting by May 15.
Letters can be submitted by hand delivery, U.S. Mail or email to: