The city could help pay for your home repairs
Application for Home Repair Programs now available for low- to moderate-income homeowners
Any home sometimes needs repairs and those repairs can be pricey. For qualifying low- to moderate-income homeowners, however, the city may be able to assist with a series of new Home Repair Programs (HRPs) launching as part of the city’s federally-funded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program.
These CDBG-funded programs can assist homeowners with repairs affecting their health, safety, accessibility, and energy efficiency. Qualifying repairs could be related to plumbing, electrical, roofing, heating, weatherproofing, exterior painting, the addition of wheelchair ramps and more. Through CDBG, the city has designated more than $350,000 to rehabilitate homes owned by low- to moderate-income residents in the city.
The HRP application is now available to Commerce City homeowners. Home improvement projects will be started on a first-come, first served basis as applications are received and approved. Residents can find and print the application online at c3gov.com/CDBG or pick it up in person at the civic center, 7887 E. 60th Avenue.
The HRPs include three sub-programs:
- Minor Home Repair Program – minor home repairs not to exceed $7,500 per household
- Weatherization Program – home energy efficiency improvements
- Paint-a-Thon Program – exterior painting for seniors and disabled homeowners
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
Each program has specific eligibility requirements; however, the general qualifications for all three programs include:
- Your home must be located within Commerce City boundaries.
- The property must be a single-family residence; manufactured homes are also eligible.
- You must be a legal U.S. resident.
- You must be current on your mortgage payments or have paid-off your mortgage.
- The property must not be for sale.
- Workers must be able to safely access all areas of the home, which must be clear of clutter/debris including bugs, pests, rodents, and waste.
- Income limitations based on the number of people living in your home.