Completing the Right Repair on the Right Road at the Right Time
When it comes to maintaining roads, Commerce City is committed to making the right repair on the right road at the right time. That’s why the city uses a comprehensive pavement maintenance and management plan that follows a sensible schedule for taking care of roadways.
Types of Road Maintenance
Criteria used to determine road repairs in the city include factors such as: pavement condition, traffic volume and roadway type. Once the roads are evaluated based on these factors, the appropriate type of maintenance is determined.
- Routine maintenance – cyclical, planned maintenance to extend the life of the road.
Examples: crack sealing , crack repair and pothole patching.
- Preventive maintenance – applied to pavement in relatively good condition to extend pavement life an average of 5 to 10 years.
Examples: slurry seal, chip seal
- Corrective maintenance – a reactive method that extends roadway life through structural enhancements such as resurfacing and reconstruction.
Example: mill and overlay
Roads are typically rebuilt once they are completely deteriorated, which makes scheduled maintenance critical for extending the life of existing roads. Concrete pavement can receive routine maintenance, but since concrete is stronger than asphalt, it is more difficult to perform other types of maintenance and often requires full removal and installation of new material.
2017 Pavement Maintenance Projects
Projected construction dates for each location are in parenthesis below. Schedules are subject to change at any time due to inclement weather or other factors.
Routine Maintenance – Crack Seal (completed June/July)
- E. 60th Avenue – just west of Vasquez Boulevard
- Adams Heights – south of E. 68th Avenue between Brighton Boulevard and Colorado Boulevard
- Quebec Parkway – E. 72nd Avenue to Highway 2
- Victory Crossing – surrounding Commerce City Civic Center and Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
Preventive Maintenance – Slurry Seal (Completed August 15-20)
- E. 60th Avenue – Vasquez Boulevard west to railroad tracks (Aug. 20)
- Adams Heights – south of E. 68th Avenue between Brighton Boulevard and Colorado Boulevard (Aug. 17-18)
- Victory Crossing – surrounding Commerce City Civic Center and Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (Aug. 15-16)
Corrective Maintenance – Mill and Overlay (September 12 to October 20)
- E. 64th Avenue – Quebec Parkway to Kearney Street (Sept. 12-22)
- E. 68th Avenue – Brighton Boulevard to Colorado Boulevard (Sept. 18-25)
- Chambers Road – E. 104th Avenue to E. 120th Avenue, intersection with E. 100th Avenue (Oct. 2-25)
Preventative and Corrective – Combination of slurry seal (August 20) and mill and overlay (September 5 to 14)
- E. 56th Avenue – Eudora Street to Brighton Boulevard (includes Dahlia Street to about 800 feet south of intersection with 56th)
Concrete Pavement Rehabilitation
- Quebec Parkway – E. 56th Avenue to E. 64th Avenue
- E. 104th Avenue – select areas from Tower Road to Landmark Drive and near Highway 2
Curious about last year's projects? View the 2016 program map