Go To Search
Click to Home
Business Licenses
Marijuana Licensing
Review the steps required to apply for a marijuana business license as well as other useful information necessary for operating within the city. View the marijuana licensing process and steps here.

Liquor Licensing
A liquor license is required to sell liquor in Commerce City. View the the liquor licensing process steps and contacts.

Business Licensing
Any business performing or providing services or selling, leasing, renting, delivering or installing tangible personal property for storage, use or consumption within the City needs a business license.  If your business has more than one location, a separate license is needed for each location. 

Available Licenses

We do not issue licenses for outdoor ice cream vendors, peddlers (selling door-to-door), permanent outdoor food vendor stands and roadside stands.


  • General in-city or out-of-city business license: $20
  • Specialty licenses have unique fees that are listed on the application.
Fees must be paid with your application, with payment may be made at our office or mailed to the address on the application. We currently do not accept online payments.

Zoning Verification Letters
You can contact the city business licensing agent to request a zoning verification letter. The fee for a zoning verification letter is $25.

Contractor Licensing
A contractor's license is required for most construction. Any contractor working in the City of Commerce City must hold a current license with the city. Electrical and plumbing contractors must register with the city. The City of Commerce City recognizes and licenses the following types of general contractors:

  • Unlimited general contractor A
  • General contractor B limited
  • Residential / general contractor C
  • Residential / remodeling contractor D

Download and complete the full Contractor License Application.

General Contractors


Homeowners do not need a contractor's license to perform certain types of work themselves. For more information, or to confirm that a contractor has a current license with the city, please submit a request by contacting the Community Development Department at 303-289-3790.

Cheryl Scott 
City Clerk's Office

Ph: 303-227-8791 
Fx: 303-227-8798