About Commerce City
Buffalo Run Golf Course
Parks & Trails
Recreation & Outdoors
You are here:
Reminiscent of Paul Revere’s historical ride through the streets of Boston and into history, one Herbert Hast Jr., a young school boy, mounted his steed in 1952 to spread the word through the streets of Commerce Town to deliver election notices to the residents against annexation by Denver. About 300 people assembled at McCoy’s Caterpillar showroom after Herbert’s momentous ride. Much as Revere’s historic ride was the beginning of a nation, so was Herbert’s ride the beginning of a city - Commerce City.
Later that year, Commerce Town voted to incorporate, and 10 years later, in 1962, Commerce Town became Commerce City. A converted army barracks on Forest Drive, just north of 60th Avenue, served as the first home for the city’s municipal government. In 1967, the city’s government operations moved south across the parking lot to a new City Hall. By 1970, the city’s home-rule charter went into effect and, in the process, established the council-manager form of city government. The city’s population then was about 16,000 people.
Growth and Development
From 2000 to 2006, the city’s population nearly doubled, going from approximately 22,000 to more than 40,000. In 2005, city voters approved a bond to develop what would become the Prairie Gateway, which included a new civic center. City employees moved into the 90,000-square-foot building in April of 2007.
Much has changed, and continues to change, since the day Herbert raced through the streets of Commerce Town upon his horse.
Powered by CivicPlus
City of Commerce City
7887 E. 60th Ave. , Commerce City, CO 80022 Ph: 303-289-3600