Design Review Process
You are here:
Urban Renewal Authority
History of Derby
One of the original railroad towns in the Front Range, Derby ultimately combined with Irondale and Adams City to officially form Commerce City in 1952. It is remembered by many as Big D, which was thought of as the downtown of the community. It is still often referred to as the heart and soul of Commerce City. Derby’s history reflects a typical small town community.
There are 130 individual properties which make up the Derby sub-area:
64 commercial properties
of the Derby business area is a triangular shape with ample angle parking. The area is configured in such a way that it has the potential to mature and evolve into an innovative and pedestrian-oriented community, sustainable in the 21st century.
Most of the original buildings which remain in Derby were built between the 1950s and 1970s and are representative of the various architectural themes which were prevalent during those decades. There is, however, an abundance of buildings in the core of Derby (in the area of 72nd Place and Monaco Street) which are distinctively illustrative of their 1950s construction. The term Googie has been adopted to refer to this period style of architecture, art, and signage.
Learn about how Commerce City is trying to preserve the character of Derby by implementing
Want to be part of Derby? Consider purchasing a piece of property to redevelop. Find all available properties in Economic Development's
real estate list
Powered by CivicPlus
City of Commerce City
7887 E. 60th Ave. , Commerce City, CO 80022 Ph: 303-289-3600