City council sets policy goals for the city, consistent with the city's vision and mission. These goals are used to create the annual work plan which drives the bi-annual budget. Staff reports quarterly on progress towards established goals with a work plan update. Below are the five city council goals:
- Develop a balanced and vibrant economy to improve socioeconomic status
- Ensure a financially-sound city government to maintain or improve levels of service
- Develop and maintain public infrastructure to improve community appearance and encourage private investment
- Preserve and nurture a quality community to improve resident health and safety
- Engage the public to encourage community involvement, communication and to build trust
Tracking City Council Goals
Check out the city’s online tool which tracks and reports on the quarterly progress for achieving city council’s five goals. The new tool improves transparency and accountability. Internally, this serves as an effective performance management tool for staff to accomplish the community’s priorities.
City staff creates an annual work plan based on city council’s direction to support city council’s five goals; the work plan includes council goals, outcomes, objectives, strategies and tactics. View this graphic to see how all the elements work together to achieve city council goals. This new tool displays the top three levels of the annual work plan: council goals, outcomes and objectives.